Please register NOW and log in FREQUENTLY for Updates
Members & Retirees,
It is anticipated that the United States Congress will act this week to implement a new health care law. This law will impact everyone, whether you’re a current retiree or future one. It will remain to be seen the true impact, but the plan is designed to cut health care services.
Some areas to be cut include the following:
1. All subsidies to provide insurance for low income earners
2. Mandatory coverage on cancer and other screenings
3. Mandated coverage that 85% of premiums need to go towards claims
4. Age tax on people between 50 and 64 who buy health insurance on their own, lifting the limits on how much insurance companies can charge older Americans.
I cannot force you to take action, but as middle class Americans, if we sit by and do nothing we will only be hurting ourselves. I encourage you to act and call your Congressperson. It takes less than 30 seconds. Simply tell them you do not support the cuts proposed and you will be watching which way he or she may vote.
CWA Scholarship Information has been updated. Please go to Member Resources, Scholarship Info.
THURSDAY IS UNION APPAREL DAY!!!
KNOW YOUR WEINGARTEN RIGHTS!
During an investigatory interview, the Supreme Court ruled that the following rules apply:
Rule 1: The employee must make a clear request for union representation before or during the interview. The employee cannot be punished for making this request.
Rule 2: After the employee makes the request, the employer must choose from among three options:
- grant the request and delay questioning until the union representative arrives and (prior to the interview continuing) the representative has a chance to consult privately with the employee;
- deny the request and end the interview immediately; or
- give the employee a clear choice between having the interview without representation, or ending the interview.
Rule 3: If the employer denies the request for union representation, and continues to ask questions, it commits an unfair labor practice and the employee has a right to refuse to answer. The employer may not discipline the employee for such a refusal.
PLEASE FOLLOW US ON TWITTER!!! @CWA1170
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK!!! LINKS ON THE LEFT <---